Tuesday 24 April 2007

To a non-Muslima



When you look at me
All that u can see
is the scarf that covers my hair
My words you can’t hear
because you’re too full of fear,
Mouth gasping, all you do is stare

You think it’s not my choice
in your own “liberation” rejoice.
You think I’m uneducated,
trapped,oppressed & subjucated,

You’re so thanksful that you’re free
But non-muslim women you’re got it wrong
You’re the weak & I’m the strong.
For i’ve rejected the trap of man.
Fancy clothes - low neck ,short skirt
those are devices for pain & hurt
I’m not falling for that little plan.

I’m a person with ideas & thought.
I’m not for sale I can’t be bought.
I’m me - not a fancy toy.
I won’t decorate anyone’s arm,
nor be promoted for my charms.
There is more to be than playing coy.

Living life as a balancing game - mother,daughter
wife, nurse, cleaner, cook,lover
and still bring home a wage.
Who thought up this modern “freedom”?
Where can love’em & man can leave’em.
This is not free, but life in a cage
Always jumping to a male agenda
competing on his terms.
No job share,
no creche facilitie,
no feeding and nappy changing amenities
no time off for menstrual pain,
“hormones” they laugh “what a shame”
No equal pay equal skill
your job they can always fill
No promotion unless you’re sterilised
No promotion unless you’re sexually terrorised
And this is liberation?

Non-Muslim women you can have your life.
Mine - it has less strife.
I cover & i get respected,
surely that’s to be expected
for I won’t demean the feminine,
I won’t live to male criterion,
I dance to my own tune
and I hope you see this very soon.
For your own sake - wake up and use your sight.
Are you so sure that you are right?


From A muslim Women
Your sister in Islam (*-*) Maryam-Zulaikha

No comments: